Heading out this Valentine’s Day? Impress your date, or your friends, with some help from gbg’s resident hair and beauty experts. They’ve put together an easy to follow guide to a classic look with a big impact. Their combination of a high bun, feline flick and red lip will have you looking glam in no time.
1. Put hair into a high ponytail, leaving a few tendrils around the face.
2. Put a bun ring around the ponytail and grip to your hair at the base of the ponytail. STYLIST TIP Bun rings come in all different sizes and colours
3. Back-comb the ponytail but don’t worry about it looking messy at this stage.
4. Pin sections of the hair into the bun ring. STYLIST TIP To keep it more on trend try not to keep the bun too neat
5. Use hairspray to spritz down any stray hairs.
6. Using a soft finishing cream such as Aveda Light Elements Defining Whip to soften and texturise the hair framing the face. If you have a fringe split it slightly to keep the look up to date.
7. Finish with Aveda Brilliant Spray-on Shine Spray to tame any stray hairs and add shine.
1. To keep your make-up in place start with an eye-shadow base. This should be applied all over the eyelid and up to the eyebrow.
2. Define the cut crease of your eye by using a darker eye-shadow in that area to show the shape of your eye.
PRO TIP It’s easiest to find the cut crease with your eyes open – make a mark you can then follow.
3. Using a brush put glittery silver eye-shadow all over the eyelid.
4. Key to this look is the eyeliner flick. A precision gel liner is perfect for this, along with a small angled brush. Start from the inner corner of the eye and move outwards in small sections to the end of the outer eye.
PRO TIP Don’t try to do the line in one go, it’s better to do it in sections and join it up than try to get a straight line.
5. Mark out where your flick should go to by angling a brush so that the top is at the end of your eyebrow and the bottom is in line with the corner of your eye. Decide how long you want your flick to be and then work in from the end of it towards your eye.
6. Put foundation all over your face and buff it in with a round soft brush. Contour your cheeks and add mascara.
7. For a bold red lip always use lip-liner to match the lipstick. Apply the lip-liner in sections rather than drawing a line around your mouth. Make sure your pencil is sharp as it will be easier and neater to use.
8. Apply your lipstick with a brush to help it go on more neatly. There is no need to blot a bold colour like this, you want to keep the intensity.